[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Dec 18 15:08:17 PST 2008

On Dec 18, 2008, at 15:00, Nicholas Riley wrote:
>> Those weren't the shells I had in mind. How about rc or es? I don't
>> consider es weird - it is my login shell after all - but users of
>> those other shells you mentioned might think it is. Or how about
>> scsh?
>> Is that weird enough for you?
>
> Heh, I was going to bring up scsh actually as an example of a truly
> weird shell.
>
> What I mean is simply that X11 should support the shells that ship
> with OS X, i.e. the *stock* /etc/shells.  This only involves two code
> paths - sh and csh derivatives.

I can't remember the last time I was forced to use tcsh, so I'm not
even confident I could do something "the right way" for just these two
shells.  If you want to contribute a patch that will allow this
wihtout user interaction, I welcome it.  Personally, I think anyone
who wants to change their shell can also edit a ~/.x11run file to
setup their shell's environment for X11.app... failing that X11.app
will still work, but just inherit their bash environment.

> If you don't use one of those, falling back to bash seems perfectly
> reasonable, perhaps with a message that indicates that you need to
> edit the file you suggested.

Like I've alluded to before, I know nearly jack about tcsh syntax, and
this corner-of-a-corner-of-an-edge case does not justify my learning
it... but of course feel free to submit a patch.  I want to support
customization as much as possible without breaking or convoluting the
default case.