[Xquartz-dev] X11 crashing

Peyton Bland bland at umich.edu
Fri Dec 19 11:41:27 PST 2008

Hi,

First of all, here's what I have:

Hardware:
   Model Name:       iMac
   Model Identifier:   iMac5,1
   Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
   Memory:	           2 GB
OS X v10.5.5
X11.app: the "About X11" window shows: XQuartz 2.3.1 (xorg-server
1.4.2-apple17)

Ever since I started using X11 on this system, I've been plagued with
crashes when I run an app known as AVS5 from an xterm window.  When I
say "crash", I mean that X11 and the xterm window go away, and I'm
presented with the usual OS X panel that says that the app X11 has
quit unexpectedly, etc.  Although I could give details of what AVS5
is doing at the time of the crash, it's an obscure app, and I'm not
sure if the specific details would help (unless someone is familiar
with it).  Suffice to say that it's a graphical visualization
app/environment that puts up lots of widgets, image display windows,
etc.

I used to run X11 v1.0 on another machine (G4 laptop, 512MB memory,
IIRC) under OS X v10.3 with no problems of this sort at all even when
running AVS5.  AVS5 has not changed, so I'm assuming that it's
something in this vdersion of X11 or the underlying libs.

How do I go about troubleshooting this?  What kind of things should I
look for?  (Please realize that I'm not an OS X software developer,
and do not use any of Apple's software development tools.  However, I
am somewhat conversant in *nix and programming in general.)

Thanks,
Peyton Bland

P.S.: If this is an inappropriate question for this forum, I
apologize and would appreciate any suggestions for a suitable forum.