[Xquartz-dev] xorg-server on Macports (works with Tiger)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri Dec 19 23:04:27 PST 2008

On Dec 19, 2008, at 14:18, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>>> It was advertised that the X server now contains pbproxy and
>>> quartz-wm should not try to handle copy&paste. I organised my
>>> ~/.xinitrc file accordingly. When the X server does not support
>>> copy&paste, what is it then good for?
>>
>> I don't understand your question.  The X11 server does contain
>> pbproxy,
>
> So why is it impossible to exchange text selections between Aqua and
> X11?

Aqua is a look.  I think you mean with NSPasteboard.

It is working for me here on Tiger.  Enable it in X11->Preferences-
 >Clipboard if you're not uqing quartz-wm.  If you are using quartz-
wm, you need to let quartz-wm handle the pasteboard since the Tiger
quartz-wm doesn't have a way to disable it.

>> but it doesn't contain a windoe manager.
>
> That's clear. Therefore I am using blackbox.
>
>>  Therefore if you use quartz-wm you should disable the server's
>> pbproxy.
>
> (There is no visible means in the preferences pane.)

(a), you're not using quartz-wm, so you should leave it enabled.  (b),
it's in X11->Preferences->Clipboard

>> Further, you should not have your own ~/.xinitrc.
>
> How does X11 launch my Emacsen, gkrellm, sunclock, xterms? Why has
> X11 to be so different from common X11?

Define "common X11", and what exactly is "so different" ?

Since you're using blackbox, enable fullscreen, and it'll be exactly
like your blackbox experience on BSD.  Or you can use the Applications
menu to launch applications...