[Xquartz-dev] xorg-server on Macports (works with Tiger)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE
Sat Dec 20 03:06:33 PST 2008

Am 20.12.2008 um 11:26 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

>>> Further, you should not have your own ~/.xinitrc.
>>
>> How does X11 launch my Emacsen, gkrellm, sunclock, xterms? Why has
>> X11 to be so different from common X11?
>
> Define "common X11", and what exactly is "so different" ?

Common is that X11 will present me an usable desktop with some useful
applications on it upon start or login.
The difference is that your product is becoming a different thing, an
obscure kind of launch or open command that works invisibly and
launches an X server whenever someone tries to run an X client.

I want to have on one desktop or in one space my X11 desktop (because
GNU Emacs as X client is faster than I can type and read and think
and so *I* don't to have to wait until it's ready, which is the other
way 'round with the Cocoa and Carbon variants). And I don't want to
click around in Finder for some minutes until all my stuff is finally
launched. And how do I pass arguments to it? Why do you want to steal
the startup items from X11?

If your X product does not provide what other X products allow then
something is wrong with your product.

> Since you're using blackbox, enable fullscreen, and it'll be exactly
> like your blackbox experience on BSD.  Or you can use the Applications
> menu to launch applications...

No, I don't want to think of opening that menu half a dozen times
every time I launch X11 to get my regular X11. X11 should not be
castrated to some application (X client) launcher. It's a windowing
system by its own hosted by Quartz, if that's the name of the Apple
windowing system in Mac OS X with the Aqua look.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Encryption, n.: A powerful algorithmic encoding technique
		employed in the creation of computer manuals.