[Xquartz-dev] xorg-server on Macports (works with Tiger)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE
Sat Dec 20 13:18:07 PST 2008

Am 20.12.2008 um 21:04 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

>> I want to have on one desktop or in one space my X11 desktop
>> (because GNU Emacs as X client is faster than I can type and read
>> and think and so *I* don't to have to wait until it's ready, which
>> is the other way 'round with the Cocoa and Carbon variants). And I
>> don't want to click around in Finder for some minutes until all my
>> stuff is finally launched. And how do I pass arguments to it? Why do
>> you want to steal the startup items from X11?
>
> What do you mean "steal the startup items"?

Quartz has its startup items, X11 should have them, too. It's not
appropriate to remove this feature from X11.

>> If your X product does not provide what other X products allow then
>> something is wrong with your product.
>
> It does.  What other "X products" are you talking about?

For example CDE, Métisse, Looking Glass, Xview/OpenWindows, Cygwin,
Humming Bird ...

>>> Since you're using blackbox, enable fullscreen, and it'll be exactly
>>> like your blackbox experience on BSD.  Or you can use the
>>> Applications
>>> menu to launch applications...
>>
>> No, I don't want to think of opening that menu half a dozen times
>> every time I launch X11 to get my regular X11. X11 should not be
>> castrated to some application (X client) launcher. It's a windowing
>> system by its own hosted by Quartz, if that's the name of the Apple
>> windowing system in Mac OS X with the Aqua look.
>
> In twm, you right click on the desktop and select the application to
> start.  In Gnome, you click the Applications menu and select the
> application to launch.  In KDE, you click on the K and select the
> application to launch.  How are any of those WMs any different?
> Further, you're using blackbox by your own choice, so if you don't
> like how you start applications in blackbox, then use something else.

I don't remember having ever used such a stupid X system that could
not launch some applications to prepare my desktop! Maybe I've
deliberately chosen useful products ...

OTOH, why is Quartz actively supporting their users' laziness by
offering to fill in startup items? Every halfway capable Mac OS X
user can click together the desktop. (Without the startup items
component Mac OS X and its security updates might be more reliable
and efficient: less can be more.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

Imbecility, n.:
	A kind of divine inspiration, or sacred fire affecting
	censorious critics of this dictionary.
			– Ambrose Bierce: _The Devil's Dictionary_