[Xquartz-dev] xorg-server on Macports (works with Tiger)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Dec 20 15:30:54 PST 2008

On Dec 20, 2008, at 13:18, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>> What do you mean "steal the startup items"?
>
> Quartz has its startup items, X11 should have them, too. It's not
> appropriate to remove this feature from X11.

This feature has not been removed from X11.  It behaves *exactly* the
same way in X11.app as it does on Linux.  I took extra strides to make
sure of that.

>>> If your X product does not provide what other X products allow then
>>> something is wrong with your product.
>>
>> It does.  What other "X products" are you talking about?
>
> For example CDE, Métisse, Looking Glass, Xview/OpenWindows, Cygwin,
> Humming Bird ...

CDE and OpenWindows are WindowManagers... they are X11 clients and not
X11 servers.  Hummingbird is not exactly a "standard" X11 product,
IMO...

>> In twm, you right click on the desktop and select the application to
>> start.  In Gnome, you click the Applications menu and select the
>> application to launch.  In KDE, you click on the K and select the
>> application to launch.  How are any of those WMs any different?
>> Further, you're using blackbox by your own choice, so if you don't
>> like how you start applications in blackbox, then use something else.
>

> I don't remember having ever used such a stupid X system that could
> not launch some applications to prepare my desktop! Maybe I've
> deliberately chosen useful products ...

What is is that you want it to do to "prepare your desktop"?  You can
do whatever you want in ~/.xinitrc just like you can on Linux/BSD/
Solaris/HPUX/...

> OTOH, why is Quartz actively supporting their users' laziness by
> offering to fill in startup items? Every halfway capable Mac OS X
> user can click together the desktop. (Without the startup items
> component Mac OS X and its security updates might be more reliable
> and efficient: less can be more.)

I have no idea what you're trying to say here.