[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Dec 20 15:35:27 PST 2008

On Dec 20, 2008, at 12:07, Viv Kendon wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
>>> source login-startup-script.sh; app-to-run
>>
>> The apps were getting a "decent environment" because they were
>> being run from a login shell.
>
> Since when?  I have certainly had to source the fink "init.sh" in
> those commands, as Martin describes, to get them to work, for most
> of my past use of X11 on Macs.

Since maybe 2.2.1 or so.

The "initial" xterm was not, but ones run from the Applications menu
were.

>>> into the Application menu command line. Such shell commands won't
>>> work any more, which is a pity.
>
> Until I read this thread I had no reason to suspect I needed to
> remove that "source" preceding the command, that now it precisely
> would not work if I included it!  Martin is right, it will break
> things for people unless they are explicitly told to update their
> Application menus.

hrm... ok, well then I'll just do it inside a /bin/sh -c "<command>"

>> Why not?  Just put that 'login-startup-script.sh' into your
>> ~/.profile where it belongs.
>
> Of course I source it in my .bashrc as well.  That's not the point.
> The point is that it breaks current configurations, so people need
> to be alerted beyond a passive FAQ entry.

That is the point of doing rcs ... I didn't realize people would do
that or expect that usability... now I am, so I'll fix it.  Please
file a bug report at http://xquartz.macosforge.org, so it doesn't fall
through the cracks.