[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Dec 23 15:25:02 PST 2008

Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
[]
> According to the definitions that I did not quote, when bash is run with
> argument zero equal to -bash it is a login shell, however it is not
> interactive and so it doesn't read the login files unless you also
> supply --login.

Yes, this must be the right interpretation.

> To make life even more interesting, csh doesn't recognize the -l flag if
> it also given the -c flag.

This is not what I am observing. I see csh behaving exactly like tcsh in
this respect.

> I think this combination of facts destroys any hope of a single method
> for doing what we are trying to do and which works with both bash and csh.

My current X11 wrapper script works fine(*) for csh, tcsh, bash, ksh, zsh.

(*) Fine meaning that I don't mind that it reads some bash startup
scripts before the startup scripts for tcsh.

--
Martin