[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc4

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Tue Dec 23 16:06:54 PST 2008

On 24Dec2008 00:25, Martin Costabel <costabel at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Harald Hanche-Olsen wrote:
> []
>> According to the definitions that I did not quote, when bash is run
>> with argument zero equal to -bash it is a login shell, however it is
>> not interactive and so it doesn't read the login files unless you also
>> supply --login.
>
> Yes, this must be the right interpretation.

So, can we add a clause to Harald's script to, thus:

  */bash)
    exec bash --login -c 'exec "$@"' - "$@" ;;

Will that do the needful for bash environments?

> My current X11 wrapper script works fine(*) for csh, tcsh, bash, ksh, zsh.
> (*) Fine meaning that I don't mind that it reads some bash startup
> scripts before the startup scripts for tcsh.

I have a strong preference for running things exactly once, and only
the appropriate startups i.e. non-bash users don't touch the bash login
files at all.

Does my bash-sepcific clause above run a login bash for you, and then
the target command?

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach the
very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply.