[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.3_rc4 - cpu goes up to 100% - sampling process

Christof Wolf ch.wolf at hfph.mwn.de
Fri Dec 26 09:10:49 PST 2008

On Thursday 25 December 2008, xquartz-dev-request at lists.macosforge.org wrote:
> Does this condition arise randomly, or do you know what to do to
> provoke it? I am still unable to reproduce it, but I swear I saw the
> same thing 3-4 times after I installed rc3. It was before I knew how
> to sample it, so I cannot claim it was the same, but I saw the 100%
> cpu  load by the idle process -- by idle I mean undisturbed by user
> events. It is interesting that it did go down substantially while I
> used it, and returned to 100% as soon as I left it alone.
>
> Also, I suspect that it is caused by something outside X11, because
> whenever this condition arose, restarting the server did not help; it
> went away only after system restart.

Hi Gene,

it goes randomly - sometimes it takes up to 3 minutes, sometimes shorter - if
you do nothing on your macbook than the fan goes up - its heating up quite a
bit - I did some testing today

installed 2.3.2_beta1 - where the CPU does not go crazy at all
www.lp-muc.com/console_msg_beta1.txt
www.lp-muc.com/kcminit_beta1.crash
www.lp-muc.com/ksplash_beta1.crash

installed 2.3.2_rc4 - where the CPU does go crazy
www.lp-muc.com/console_msg_rc4.txt
www.lp-muc.com/kcminit_rc4.crash
www.lp-muc.com/ksplash_rc4.crash

in both cases the pastboard is disabled and no klipper is running, in both
cases I got two crash reports kcminit.crash and ksplash.crash, do those have
anything to do with it?

ciao
christof

--
public key www.hfph.mwn.de/~chwolf/chwolf.asc

Please respect my privacy and do not make my contact information
available to third parties.