[Xquartz-dev] xorg-server on Macports (works with Tiger)

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Dec 28 03:17:13 PST 2008

On Dec 28, 2008, at 03:02, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> The prompt bug still exists. And it's spreading out. In *one*
> Terminal window (small, reduced font size) it also exists. In
> Terminal's tcsh prompt is defined as:
>
> 	set prompt = "%{\033[43;34m%}%B%n ! /\\ %b"
>
> inside GNU Emacs' *shell* buffer it's defined as
>
> 	set prompt = "%n ! /\\ "
>
> and GNU Emacs takes care of colourisation. For root it is defined as
>
> 	set prompt	 = "`echo $user` ! /\\ "

See the active thread in which we are discussing inheriting the user's
shell's login environment.  That is probably what is going on here
since you're using tcsh...

Or just update to the latest git which has a startup script that will
use your tcsh login environment if your shell is tcsh...

> Another effect, which is particularly visible in root's GNU Emacs
> 23.0.60, is that when a process (compilation, recursive ls or find)
> produces lots of output and the cursor is put at the (momentary) end
> of output, new output does not push the prompt forward, instead the
> prompt is left where it landed.

That sounds like an incorrectly set TERM