[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc5 quitting and restarting

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 31 00:14:48 PST 2008

John Koren wrote:
>> Don't do that.  Do this:
>>
>> cd ~
>> /sw/bin/rxvt -tcw &
>> . /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc

This doesn't change anything. I observe the same behavior as John.

> In the meantime I noticed that the stall occurs only if I launch rxvt
> (or xterm) from xinitrc. If I remove rxvt from xinitrc the stall is
> prevented.

Yes. There should be a big red warning somewhere

"Don't Run Any X Clients From ~/.xinitrc, or you are in deep trouble".

Actually, once X11 has gone into its funny state, even logout/login does
not suffice, one really has to reboot, as John said. Or simply remove
the offending ~/.xinitrc and then force quit X11. This brings up a sane
X11 which one then can quit normally.

--
Martin