[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_rc5 quitting and restarting

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Dec 31 10:44:13 PST 2008

On Dec 31, 2008, at 00:14, Martin Costabel wrote:

> John Koren wrote:
>>> Don't do that.  Do this:
>>>
>>> cd ~
>>> /sw/bin/rxvt -tcw &
>>> . /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc
>
> This doesn't change anything. I observe the same behavior as John.

I didn't say it would fix his problem.  But it does fix other issues.

>> In the meantime I noticed that the stall occurs only if I launch rxvt
>> (or xterm) from xinitrc. If I remove rxvt from xinitrc the stall is
>> prevented.
>
> Yes. There should be a big red warning somewhere
>
> "Don't Run Any X Clients From ~/.xinitrc, or you are in deep trouble".

Not really.  There shouldn't be anything wrong running X clients from
~/.xinitrc... in fact everything in ~/.xinitrc or the system xinitrc
ARE X clients.  I doubt the urxvt is the cause of the problem.  If
anything, it's just helping show the problem.

> Actually, once X11 has gone into its funny state, even logout/login
> does not suffice, one really has to reboot, as John said. Or simply
> remove the offending ~/.xinitrc and then force quit X11. This brings
> up a sane X11 which one then can quit normally.

Can you please give a sample of the application in its hung state
before trying to exit X11.app.  The sample from John shows the
application is in a hung state while trying to exit during the start
procedure.  It would be better to see a sample of the process BEFORE
you tried to do quit it.