[Xquartz-dev] hi, and a few opening questions

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Feb 16 11:53:31 PST 2008

On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 11:33 -0800, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>  Shark gives me some pretty
> > clear indications that the use of Cocoa inside the window update
> > process
> > is a killer.
>
> I haven't really spent much time with Cocoa, myself.  I've mentioned a
> few times on this list that I'm a C unix developer, and Cocoa/Quartz/
> ObjectiveC are all new to me.  Most of the hacking I've been doing has
> been on the "UNIX / C" side of X11 and not really ingrained in the
> Cocoa side of things.  That being said, the major regression with 1.4
> right now is deep inside our input control mechanism passing input
> events to Xinput from Cocoa, so I'll be walking further up this
> learning curve soon.
>
> I highly suggest that you file a radar ( http://bugreport.apple.com )
> on this issue so someone in a position to fix performance in Cocoa
> knows about this issue and can work with you to fix it.

Nah, I'm an idiot :) In thinking through this some more, I realized:
what happens when you remove most of the code that takes up 60% of your
total CPU cycles and put it in a server? Could it be that *your* app
suddenly looks about 50% faster? Did you bother to measure the overall
CPU load instead of the per-process load? Well no, I haven't, but I can
guess what it will show me :)