[Xquartz-dev] hi, and a few opening questions

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sat Feb 16 13:43:26 PST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008, at 11:14 AM, Paul Davis wrote:

> From what I can tell, the speed issues really are in Cocoa. And it
> struck me that when I survey the landscape of other apps that have
> the kind of GUI requirements that Ardour does, I don't know of a
> single one that was written with Cocoa. Most modern apps in my
> domain are tending to use openGL for x-platform purposes. The legacy
> apps are using Carbon because ... well, they're legacy apps ;) Shark
> gives me some pretty clear indications that the use of Cocoa inside
> the window update process is a killer.

It would be interesting to see these shark traces attached to a
Radar.  I've certainly heard very few complaints about "Cocoa being
slow", particularly given that "Cocoa" is an umbrella term for a
pretty large grab bag of technologies.  Is it CoreGraphics which is
slow?  The performance of one or more AppKit UI elements? Some of
other [set of] API?  In any and all cases, the more detail the
better.  Thanks!

- Jordan