[Xquartz-dev] 2.1.2 release candidate

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Jan 8 15:53:32 PST 2008

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
[]
> I am certain that /usr/X11/bin is only getting added to my path via /
> etc/profile's:
>
> if [ -x /usr/libexec/path_helper ]; then
>     eval `/usr/libexec/path_helper -s`
> fi
>
> What happens if you do this on your own from Terminal.app:
>
> $ unset PATH
> $ /bin/bash --login /usr/X11/bin/startx

This shows the problem, I get
/usr/X11/bin/startx: line 168: xauth: command not found
and so on.

Since I am using tcsh as my login shell, I have never paid attention to
what bash -l is doing on this account. In fact, my /etc/profile was an
old one from 2005 that was not using path_helper. The Leopard installer
did not replace it (I did an upgrade-install), but put its own version
as /etc/profile.system_default beside it.

Now that I copied the new /etc/profile (which is using path_helper),
startx is working as intended.

This is the first time I have seen /etc/profile playing any role, and I
  am not convinced it should. Why is bash -l executed when my login
shell is tcsh and my working environment is set up by the tcsh startup
scripts?

--
Martin