[Xquartz-dev] 2.1.2 release candidate

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 8 16:04:47 PST 2008

> This shows the problem, I get
> /usr/X11/bin/startx: line 168: xauth: command not found
> and so on.
>
> Since I am using tcsh as my login shell, I have never paid attention
> to what bash -l is doing on this account. In fact, my /etc/profile
> was an old one from 2005 that was not using path_helper. The Leopard
> installer did not replace it (I did an upgrade-install), but put its
> own version as /etc/profile.system_default beside it.
>
> Now that I copied the new /etc/profile (which is using path_helper),
> startx is working as intended.
>
> This is the first time I have seen /etc/profile playing any role,
> and I  am not convinced it should. Why is bash -l executed when my
> login shell is tcsh and my working environment is set up by the tcsh
> startup scripts?

Jamie, do you think this might be the case (doing an upgrade install)
for your system as well?

'/bin/bash --login /usr/X11/bin/startx' is being run by launchd to
start the server.  See /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.X11.plist .
I chose this because (ironically), just running /usr/X11/bin/startx
wouldn't put X11's bin into $PATH, so I thought the cleanest way to do
that would be via bash -l.  I originally thought of this as possibly
being an issue (I don't want to tie people to bash), and I wanted to
use /usr/bin/login instead.  Unfortunately, I couldn't see a way to
set the username as a command line argument in the launchd plist, so I
just used bash -l instead (I didn't give it much investigation, so I'm
not saying that it's impossible... just that I gave up when I chose
this avenue).