[Xquartz-dev] 2.1.2 release candidate

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 8 16:50:05 PST 2008

Great, thanks.

I'm uploading a new rc now which adds X11 to PATH within startx.  I'll
wait to hear back from you before I push it out.

I want to start the server via '/bin/bash --login /usr/X11/bin/startx'
rather than just '/usr/bin/startx' because I want to make sure that /
etc/profile and ~/.profile are sourced to setup the user's
environment.  Not doing so would cause $PATH to be just "/usr/X11/bin:/
usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin".  Thus if they use macports and have
'rxvt' as one of their applications in X11's Applications menu,
they'll need to give the full path to the application.  This is
actually the way the 10.5 shipped X11 behaved, but I regard this as a
bug and fixed it by using 'login -f <username> /bin/sh -c /usr/X11/bin/
Xquartz' to exec the server within server-main.c.  That carried over
to a bash --login in the current configuration.

I would think a good way to use the user's preferred shell's
environment to start the server would be via '$SHELL -l /usr/X11/bin/
startx', but I'm not sure $SHELL is going to be the right (or any)
value within launchd, and not all shells will allow '-l <command>'.
tcsh doesn't... so I'm going to stick with doing /bin/bash --login /
usr/X11/bin/startx and just put X11 in startx's PATH.  I don't like it
because it's ugly and causes a redundant entry, but I'll live...

actually... maybe doing this within startx would be better than just
prepending /u/X/bin to the PATH:
if [ -x /usr/libexec/path_helper ]; then
	eval `/usr/libexec/path_helper -s`
fi

Thoughts?

--Jeremy