[Xquartz-dev] 2.1.2 release candidate

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Wed Jan 9 20:59:44 PST 2008

I think I'm just going to release the 'bash --login startx'
launchd.plist with startx pushing /usr/X11/bin into PATH if it's not
there already.

This doesn't assume your users will use bash.  It just uses bash
because it's there.  When the users start xterm from the Applications
menu, they'll get their tcsh shell as expected, and they'll get a
login tcsh shell because it's started by '/usr/bin/login -fp
<username> /usr/X11/bin/xterm' which tells xterm to be a login
terminal which tells the shell to be a login shell.

Other applications (maybe 'xemacs' as an example) will inherit the
BASH environment provided to them.  I honestly don't see an easy,
robust, clean solution for this, and the 'bash --login' route is what
I came up with as the cleanest one, but it provides the BASH
environment.  Your users could probably change /System/Library/
org.x.X11.plist to something better for their tcsh setup... or even
just start a terminal and execute something from there...

Now that I think about it, I don't see how this is even a regression.
Are you absolutely positive that XQuartz is even getting your tcsh
environment with 2.1.1 (or any previous version)?  I don't think it
should be.  You can test this by:

mkdir ~/tcsh_only_bin
echo "/usr/X11/bin/xterm" > ~/tcsh_only_bin/tcsh_xterm
chmod 755 ~/tcsh_only_bin/tcsh_xterm
<edit ~/.login ~/.cshrc or whatnot to put ~/tcsh_only_bin in $PATH>
restart X
Add 'tcsh_only_bin' to the Applications menu (without the full path)
Launch that menu item.

My bet is that it won't work as I don't believe it should be getting
the environment currently.

Can you please check that out for me?

--Jeremy