[Xquartz-dev] Re: 2.1.2 release candidate

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Jan 10 05:18:51 PST 2008

Am 10.01.2008 um 04:13 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

> It does supply $USER in the environment, but it can't be set on the
> command line when launched from launch (hence the sh -c '...
> $USER ...' attempt).

This is what I don't understand, but we can quit here.

>> A little helper script could record with defaults the key/value
>> pair near login-time ...
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.

I meant that "the system" could provide information by filling-in
this information into certain files when a user logs in. This could
be handled by kind of a login item which gets installed with X11 (a
hook in Emacs speak).

I have written a suite of shell scripts that set up the environment
via ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist plus provide some helpful things to
be used in Terminal. The purpose is to provide X11 with the same
environment, particularly PATH, as Terminal has, to be able to use
TeX with xterm, texdoc, xdvi, GNU Emacs/XEmacs. "Side-effects"
provide DISPLAY from ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist when ~/.xinitrc is
executed (until then DISPLAY is unknown and calculated by ~/.login or
~/.profile on the basis of already logged-in local users), which then
can be used in Terminal to update its preliminary DISPLAY setting. If
needed. (When the X server quits, ~/.xinitrc deletes DISPLAY from
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist.)

Anyway, I'm not using Leopard right now so I am not completely
understanding the problems. Could be, when I'll manage to compile
X11R7.2 for Tiger, I'll see them clearer ... (full compilation is
just a matter of one or two days)

--
Greetings

   Pete

When confronted with actual numbers, a mathematician is at a loss.
				– Steffen Hokland