[Xquartz-dev] 2.1.2 released

robert delius royar x11 at frinabulax.org
Mon Jan 14 07:26:18 PST 2008

Mon, 14 Jan 2008 (12:09 -0000 UTC) Derek Fawcus wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 02:10:34PM -0800, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> On Jan 13, 2008, at 13:36, robert delius royar wrote:
>>> Why do we need to restart OS X and not just the X system?
>>
>> See the release notes: http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/xquartz/wiki/X112.1.2
>
>  Restart Notice
>  Because we've changed the way launchd starts the server, you will need to restart your machine after installation.
>
> Hmm.  I recall an Apple doc that showed the launchd process tree is different in 10.5 vs 10.4.
> In 10.4 there is one lauchd,  in 10.5 there is a launchd per user login (on console).
>
> So surely at worst one would have to log out and back in again,  causing the per user
> launchd to be recreated?
>
> At best one would hope there is a way to make launchd reload its config files (kill -HUP ?).
>
> DF

There ought (as in a "moral" oblligation) to be a way for the installer
to do the following:
  stop org.x.X11
  unload -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.X11.plist
  killall X11.app
  rm /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.X11.plist
  cp org.x.X11.plist /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.X11.plist
  load -w /System/Library/LaunchAgents/org.x.X11.plist

Assuming the installer could manage such, would this be enough to make
X11 run correctly with an update and not require a system restart?

I understand that on a system with multiple users logged in, this may
not be the correct approach.

--
Dr. Robert Delius Royar                   Associate Professor of English
Morehead State University                             Morehead, Kentucky