[Xquartz-dev] Where's libGL

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at berkeley.edu
Sat Jan 26 10:27:14 PST 2008

GL is a bit of a sore spot in the server.  What bugs are you talking
about specifically, and can you send us your fixes?

On Nov 11, 2007, Ben said """

*cough*

This is the downside of Open Source -- you get to see the places I had
to use duct tape to hold this all together.
The X server has a dependency on Mesa (hence --with-mesa-source=....),
and libGL.dylib is (nominally) built out of the Mesa source, so   it
makes the most sense to build it there even though it's a library.
So, it's built as part of X11server:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.5/X11server-46/build

But wait!  There's more!   That version support AIGLX, but not
AppleDRI.  Late during Leopard's development, we realized we had to
support AppleDRI, so I copied in the patched Mesa from Tiger, and we
build that, and we install that (and throw away the copy we built from
Mesa-6.5.2).

The right way to fix this would be to merge the Apple patches against
the Mesa that came with Tiger into the mainstream Mesa distribution,
but I couldn't figure out how to do this.  I spoke briefly with the
Mesa peeps about this -- http://www.nabble.com/adding-AppleDRI-support-to-Mesa3D--t4419462.html
  -- but while they felt it would be easy, I spent a week trying and
failed.

"""

The 1.2/1.3 branch of xorg-server needs Mesa-6.5.2.  The 1.4 branch
can use the latest release of Mesa (7.0.2).  We're currently trying to
squish out regressions on the 1.4 branch over 1.2/1.3 since 1.4 should
solve some of our fb related crashes and get us more current with
mainline.  Once that's done, we can try getting Mesa 7.0.2 working
nicely.

All the Apple-specific changes are in git.freedesktop.org except these
three patches which Ben hasn't pushed in yet:
http://people.freedesktop.org/~jeremyhu/not.committed/

Ben, should I push in the xcb patch?  Also, why did you remove the
poll check from libXt?