[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.0-rc5

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jul 10 11:01:07 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
[]
> Please offer your comments, since this .la "fix" is entirely *FOR*
> Fink and Macports.

If we could simply start from scratch when building packages, this
wouldn't be a problem. Until Tiger, there were no .la files in X11, as
far as I remember.

But as it is now, building against a *.la-less X11 in an environment
that was built against an X11 with *.la files does not work, so this
would require to rebuild everything that uses X11, and for Fink this
would basically mean to scrap everything and to rebuild everything.

If you really want my opinion, I would propose to forget the separation
of X11 into X11User and X11SDK and distribute (as you are doing with
xquartz) everything in one package (perhaps without the man pages, as it
was recently started). This has almost no drawback and a lot of advantages.

The X11SDK.pkg is tiny in comparison with the X11User.pkg (less than
5MB), in particular because the X11User.pkg contains already a lot of
files that one normally would rather put into a dev package, because
they are not needed at runtime:
- foo.dylib symlinks such as /usr/X11/lib/libGL.dylib
- package-config *.pc files
- *-config executables such as freetype-config
- the imake template directory /usr/X11/lib/X11/config ;-)
Migrating the 600 or so remaining header and *.la files over to X11User
would not make much difference.
On the other hand, the separation of X11SDK from X11User has been the
cause of a lot of grief for Fink users (and certainly others) over the
years.
If you have only one package, keeping *.la and *.dylibs in sync should
be automatic.

--
Martin