[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.0-rc6

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Jul 13 11:24:57 PDT 2008

On Jul 13, 2008, at 04:34, Martin Costabel wrote:

> The argument remains valid: If you remove the *.la files, you cut off
> any upgrade path. Now I don't know if Macports cares about
> upgradability
> from Leopard to SnowLeopard, but I know that Fink does. Your move will
> be a major headache for anyone compiling  software on their own Mac.

Well, I don't know if this is entirely valid when you consider that
newer versions of the OS will have new features available in APIs that
aren't in the previous versions of the OS.  Additionally, deprecated
ABI may be removed in a newer version of the OS, so that old software
might not run as expected.  I think this particular case is valid in
"start fresh, do it right on a major OS update".