[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.0-rc6

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Jul 13 04:34:46 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
> So this is the brown bag release.
>
> Yes, it does contain everything this time (meaning the libs that
> didn't get rolled into the rc5 pkg).
> Additionally, the .la files are included and not deleted.  Unless
> there is violent objection, I intend to keep shipping them in the
> MacOSForge packages for Leopard but not include them in X11 with
> SnowLeopard.

The argument remains valid: If you remove the *.la files, you cut off
any upgrade path. Now I don't know if Macports cares about upgradability
from Leopard to SnowLeopard, but I know that Fink does. Your move will
be a major headache for anyone compiling  software on their own Mac.

BTW, I just finished installing xcode-3.1, and there the size of
X11SDK.pkg is 972KB, about the size of the xterm executable. It is by
now patently absurd to keep this as a separate package, updated
independently of the rest of X11.

--
Martin