[Xquartz-dev] Installation request

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri Jul 11 10:01:21 PDT 2008

I fail to understand the concern.  I used to force a restart, but now
that is no longer necessary.  At minimum, the user must log out and
back in.  Of course, you still do have the option of restarting if
you'd prefer to restart than logout.

Regarding the other devices that don't like it when you log out and
back in, that is a pretty nasty bug.  Please report the problem to
Logitech.

On Jul 11, 2008, at 03:10, Peter Collinson wrote:

> I find that when I install new X11 releases logging out to restart
> things is somewhat imperfect - various non-X11 systems on my machine
> don't seem to restart properly - for example my Logitech mouse driver
> which is undoubtedly their problem. However, is it possible to have an
> option to restart the machine as well as logging out? I tend to do
> this anyway, and it just saves a step.
>
> No big deal if this is difficult, just thought I would ask.
>
> On 11 Jul 2008, at 05:30, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
>> So this is the brown bag release.
>>
>> Yes, it does contain everything this time (meaning the libs that
>> didn't get rolled into the rc5 pkg).
>> Additionally, the .la files are included and not deleted.  Unless
>> there is violent objection, I intend to keep shipping them in the
>> MacOSForge packages for Leopard but not include them in X11 with
>> SnowLeopard.
>>
>> --Jeremy
>>
>> http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/X11-2.3.0_rc6.pkg
>>
>> On Jul 9, 2008, at 22:04, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>>
>>> I'd like to let you all know about another release candidate for
>>> 2.3.0:
>>>
>>> http://static.macosforge.org/xquartz/downloads/X11-2.3.0_rc5.pkg
>>>
>>> This addresses the remaining regressions that I'm aware of over
>>> 2.2.3
>>> and the version in OSX 10.5.2 and later:
>>>
>>> The main ones I can remember off the top of my head are:
>>> issues resulting from spaces in home directory
>>> crash on startup
>>> a memory leak in pixman
>>> no longer shipping libtool archive files /usr/X11/lib/*.la
>>>
>>> Please test it out and let me know how it works for you... this
>>> should
>>> probably be release quality, so hopefully I can announce it in the
>>> coming week.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Jeremy