[Xquartz-dev] Xorg ports in MacPorts

Adam Mercer ramercer at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 13:33:48 PST 2008

Hi

In going though the MacPorts new submissions milestone I have ran into
an issue regarding the xorg ports in MacPorts and wanted to get the
input of the Xquartz developers on this issue.

The standard MacPorts policy is to not use system libraries but depend
on the appropriate port, this make supporting the port on different
versions of Mac OS X much easier.  There is however an expection, X.
In the past if a port depended on X, the following dependency syntax
was used:  lib:libX11:XFree86, meaning to check for the libX11 library
and if this was not found to build the XFree86 port.

Now that Leopard has switched to xorg, I think its time to revisit
this.  But before I bring it on the MacPorts dev list I'd like to get
your input, how would you like to see xorg support handled?

Ben: As you originally wrote, and are down as the maintainer for, most
of the xorg ports, how did you see this being handled?

Cheers

Adam