[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.0-rc3

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Fri May 30 10:18:18 PDT 2008

I've uploaded a new release candidate for 2.3.0.  I've been using this
for about a week now and feel comfortable enough about it to put it
out "in the wild" to let you all mess with it while I move on to the
next stage of the startup rewrite.  Major changes since 2.3.0-rc2:

Pulled in proper xkeyboard-config data instead of xkbdata (this should
get Xfake and Xephyr to work without needing the '-kb' command line
option)
Reverted Xquartz to not use xkb since we don't actually have a quartz
keyboard xkb data file (not sure the best way to solve this, I'm going
to leave this headache for post-2.3.0)
Xquartz now has the capability to add a new $DISPLAY socket after the
server is started (rather than only at start).  This is needed for the
new OSX-friendly startup method that I'm working on.  We use this now
just within the server itself, but in rc4, I expect the socket will be
handed off to the server by the stub.

Please test it out and let me know of any regressions.

http://xquartz.macosforge.org/downloads/X11-2.3.0_rc3.pkg

Note, I consider this fairly stable and regression free at this point,
but there are bound to be some issues that arise.  Now that I have
this out, I'm going to be working on some things that are a bit more
fragile, so if you want to balance "works" with "testing", this should
be a fairly safe beta for you.  Of course, I may end up eating these
words later...