[Xquartz-dev] failed to bind to surface errors

George Peter Staplin georgeps at xmission.com
Sat Nov 8 11:19:57 PST 2008

Quoted Mike Krogh <mfkrogh at ensight.com>:
> Hi,

Hi Mike,

> We have an X11 application that is generating "failed to bind to
> surface" errors on some OpenGL windows.  We are running locally on the
> console (not remote GLX), and the error occurs in transient dialogs
> that pop up.  The first time a window comes up things are fine.  The
> error occurs after the containing window is dismissed (XtPopdown) and
> then popped back up (XtPopup).  The error seems to occur when we call
> glXMakeCurrent() on the OpenGL window in this dialog.  All other
> widgets in the dialog are fine - only the OpenGL widget appears to be
> affected.  The OpenGL window does continue to receive mouse input - we
> just can't draw to it.
>
> Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
>
> -Mike

I just saw this bug for the first time today, before I read your
email.  The glthread.c demo from Mesa causes this problem too.  I was
busy with something else, so I haven't looked very closely at it yet.
It seems that it works properly if I use the glthread demo with
different XOpenDisplay() connections rather than using XInitThreads(),
so we may need to LockDisplay() in some critical regions that we don't
handle at the moment.

Are you using threads with GLX?

I will look closer at this issue.  Is there anything else you can tell
me about the failure?  If you prefer to contact me off list about
this, you can email me using gstaplin at apple.com

Thanks,

George
--