[Xquartz-dev] glxgears performance differences in rooted/rootless window

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Nov 10 14:14:03 PST 2008

First off, let's please try to keep discussion pertaining to beta
releases and development questions in the xquartz-dev list so we don't
spam up x11-users (hence the list change in the CC).

There should really be no difference in GLX performance between
fullscreen and rootless... there may be some slight performance issues
due to window compositing which doesn't happen if you're in fullscreen
(because the root window blocks the other windows)... I think this is
when the mouse cursor is near the dropshadow of the window ... or
maybe when the drop-shadow of another window is near the window...
something like that... I don't exactly recall (sorry).

As for the "visible in rootless mode" then cmd-alt-a into fullscreen,
I'm confused... are you running in rootless or fullscreen mode?  If
you have fullscreen enabled, then you shouldn't see any window in
rootless mode.  It should pop up in X11-fullscreen, but what it should
do and what it does do are sometimes not quite right with new
features... ;)

What is the state of your "Focus on new windows" option?