[Xquartz-dev] geometry regression in 2.3.2-beta3

robert delius royar x11 at frinabulax.org
Wed Nov 12 06:56:45 PST 2008

Tue, 11 Nov 2008 (21:26 -0800 UTC) Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

>  Well my emacs is using gtk2 for windowing... Is yours using motif maybe?
>  What is the output of 'ldd /usr/bin/emacs' on your Fedora box?
>
>  On Nov 11, 2008, at 21:18, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> >  I wrote:
> > >  Well, I'd be the first to admit that I'm using an ancient Emacs (19.34.1
> > >  actually) ... but I wouldn't expect it to break between beta2 and beta3.
> >
> >  Also, I'm getting the same behavior with emacs 22.2.1 ssh'd in from a
> >  reasonably up-to-date machine (Fedora 9).
> >
> >     regards, tom lane

I am seeing the same thing with xterm 237 (self compiled with the configuration
./configure --enable-wide-chars --enable-256-color \
   --with-terminal-type=xterm-256color --enable-dabbrev \
   --prefix=/usr/X11 --enable-mini-luit --enable-toolbar \
   --with-X --with-Xaw3d CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 ).

The program flashes open at its requested geometry location then disappears and
returns to 0,0.  I see this in any xterm I open.

I have some processes that start automatically at X11 initial startup
which are set to begin iconified.  When I de-iconify those xterms or
XEmacs processes for the first time later in a session, they open where
their initial geometry settings requested.  The initial geometry
was provided as a command-line parameter.

Perhaps I need some additional Xresource values to fix this?

I also see this with a 21.5.beta28 (latest hg sources) XEmacs.

Finally, I use fspanel.  It now obscures the OS X dock, but other X11 windows
do not.

fspanel is set to remain in the X foreground.  I suspect that looking at the
code might help discover where the problem came in.  I have a modified version
of fspanel which does not support separate desktops. But I did not modify the
sections that keep it foregrounded.

--
Dr. Robert Delius Royar <r.royar at morehead-st.edu>
Associate Professor of English, Morehead State University