[Xquartz-dev] geometry regression in 2.3.2-beta3

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Wed Nov 12 08:28:52 PST 2008

On Nov 12, 2008, at 06:56, robert delius royar wrote:

> Tue, 11 Nov 2008 (21:26 -0800 UTC) Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>
>> Well my emacs is using gtk2 for windowing... Is yours using motif
>> maybe?
>> What is the output of 'ldd /usr/bin/emacs' on your Fedora box?

>> Emacs (19.34.1
>> and beta3.
>> from a
>> >  reasonably up-to-date machine (Fedora 9).
>
> I am seeing the same thing with xterm 237 (self compiled with the
> configuration
> ./configure --enable-wide-chars --enable-256-color \
>  --with-terminal-type=xterm-256color --enable-dabbrev \
>  --prefix=/usr/X11 --enable-mini-luit --enable-toolbar \
>  --with-X --with-Xaw3d CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.2 ).
>
> The program flashes open at its requested geometry location then
> disappears and returns to 0,0.  I see this in any xterm I open.

Even with the one that comes with 2.3.2_beta3?

~ $ which xterm
/usr/X11/bin/xterm

~ $ gmd5sum /usr/X11/bin/xterm
5afb0c7d50f868a4451dcd7799e8adb4  /usr/X11/bin/xterm

~ $ gmd5sum /usr/bin/quartz-wm
c612da09f845b4cde972f57e2ecd243e  /usr/bin/quartz-wm

~ $ xterm -geometry 80x24-0+0

Works for me... =/

> I have some processes that start automatically at X11 initial
> startup which are set to begin iconified.  When I de-iconify those
> xterms or XEmacs processes for the first time later in a session,
> they open where their initial geometry settings requested.  The
> initial geometry was provided as a command-line parameter.

Hmm...

> Perhaps I need some additional Xresource values to fix this?

I doubt it... it's probably a quartz-wm bug.

> I also see this with a 21.5.beta28 (latest hg sources) XEmacs.

Why the heck is this working for me then... hmm... can you check the
md5sum of your xterm and quartz-wm...

> Finally, I use fspanel.  It now obscures the OS X dock, but other
> X11 windows do not.
>
> fspanel is set to remain in the X foreground.  I suspect that
> looking at the code might help discover where the problem came in.
> I have a modified version of fspanel which does not support separate
> desktops. But I did not modify the sections that keep it foregrounded.

It was a bug that it didn't obscure the dock.  That bug is now fixed,
so it does obscure the dock.  X layers are now properly translated to
OSX layers like they were in Tiger.