[Xquartz-dev] geometry regression in 2.3.2-beta3

robert delius royar x11 at frinabulax.org
Mon Nov 17 04:56:09 PST 2008

Sun, 16 Nov 2008 (19:44 -0800 UTC) Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> I can't reproduce your problem, Robert...
>
> ~/src/freedesktop/src/xterm-237 $ ./configure -prefix=/usr/X11
> --disable-static --disable-dependency-tracking --disable-nls
> --mandir=/usr/X11/share/man --enable-wide-chars --enable-luit
> --enable-256-color --enable-logging --enable-load-vt-fonts --enable-toolbar
> && make -j3
>
> ~/src/freedesktop/src/xterm-237 $ ./xterm -geometry 80x24-0+0

I compiled using your configuration and started the resulting xterm with
the command
% ./xterm -geometry 80x24+40+35
The xterm opened in the upper left corner.  It also opened in the upper
left corner with -geometry 80x24-0+0.

I also found that if the --enable-toolbar is in the configure, but I use
the command
% ./xterm -geometry 80x24+40+35 +tb
I still get the xterm in the upper left corner.

I am using a final generation iMac G5 FWIW.  I usually compile with
Apple's version of gcc-4.2, but I tried these tests with both a version
compiled with Apple's latest gcc-4.0 and 4.2, no difference.
Maybe someone else reading this is still seeing a similar
problem--perhaps with XEmacs.  Both use Xaw, but I have the toolbar
turned off by default in XEmacs.

> On Nov 12, 2008, at 16:27, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>

>> On Nov 12, 2008, at 14:55, robert delius royar wrote:
>>
>> > I reinstalled the package and am running the provided xterm.  The problem
>> > is not in it.  Could you tell me the configure options you use to
>> > compile?  The resulting executable has the same libraries as the one in
>> > the package
>>
>> I use (you can find this on your own by digging through
>> http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.5.5 if you're curious about
>> other packages):
>>
>> --prefix=/usr/X11 --disable-static --disable-dependency-tracking
>> --disable-nls
>> --mandir=/usr/X11/share/man --enable-wide-chars --enable-luit
>> --enable-256-color
>> --enable-logging --enable-load-vt-fonts
>>
>> <snip/>
>>
>> > I recompiled without the '--enable-toolbar' configure option, and the
>> > resulting executable opens where geometry tells it to.
>>
>> So then something with --enable-toolbar is causing the new quartz-wm to not
>> like your -geometry... Tom, have you seen that before?  What does
>> --enable-toolbar do with respect to window placement that is different than
>> --disable-toolbar?
>>
>> --Jeremy

Dr. Robert Delius Royar                   Associate Professor of English
Morehead State University                             Morehead, Kentucky