[Xquartz-dev] geometry regression in 2.3.2-beta3

Tom Lane tgl at sss.pgh.pa.us
Mon Nov 17 16:11:16 PST 2008

robert delius royar <x11 at frinabulax.org> writes:
> I am using a final generation iMac G5 FWIW.  I usually compile with
> Apple's version of gcc-4.2, but I tried these tests with both a version
> compiled with Apple's latest gcc-4.0 and 4.2, no difference.
> Maybe someone else reading this is still seeing a similar
> problem--perhaps with XEmacs.  Both use Xaw, but I have the toolbar
> turned off by default in XEmacs.

Hah --- I think we have a common thread now.  I just confirmed that in
my setup using a stock Fedora 9 emacs, I see the bouncing-location
problem only if I have one or both of these lines in ~/.emacs (on
the Fedora machine of course)

(add-hook 'term-setup-hook #'(lambda () (menu-bar-mode -1)))
(add-hook 'term-setup-hook #'(lambda () (tool-bar-mode -1)))

I'm not sure if this is still considered the optimal way to disable
menu/toolbar stuff, but it's what I've been using for awhile.

The other machine with the problem is also disabling the menu-bar stuff
(the locution is different because it's so much older version of emacs)
and un-disabling the menu bar makes the problem go away there too.

I know that both these emacs versions put up the toolbar/menu stuff at
start, and then take it away when they notice your customization script
telling them to turn it off.  I can't tell for sure because it happens
too fast, but at this point I'd bet good money that the bogus
repositioning happens as a result of removing the menu or toolbar.

It might also be connected that in my other 24x7 X application, exmh,
only some of the windows show the pop-to-left behavior.  The main window
with the menu bar doesn't ...

Jeremy, any suggestion what to try next to gather more info for you?

			regards, tom lane