[Xquartz-dev] meta keys with 2.3.2-beta3

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Nov 17 22:01:26 PST 2008

On 17Nov2008 21:40, Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com> wrote:
> On Nov 17, 2008, at 21:35, Cameron Simpson wrote:
>> While I've got your attention, is the big white rectangles bug still
>> in the list?
>
> It's in the list, but it probably won't be tackled in 2.3.2

No worries.

>> I have a datum for you. I'm running 2.3.2rc1 (now) in full
>> screen mode. When I start X11 usually as a side effect if starting an
>> X11 client, my few windows or so come up on the Apple desktop. I
>> believe
>> these are the apps that start ahead of the window manager itself.
>>
>> Anyway, once its up I have a large white rectangle on _both_ the Apple
>> desktop and on the X11 full-screen desktop, in the original location
>> of
>> a terminal window that is started. Likewise the clock. Both of these
>> get
>> reparented by the window manager when it starts a bit later. Hopefully
>> this helps characterise things some more.
>
> Hmm... I was working under the impression that it was override-redirect
> windows specifically, but this implies that it's any window that is not
> re-parented... this is most odd...

This is possible. Do you expect the rectanlges to persist after the
window _is_ reparented? Hmm, I guess so, since I'm imagining that it's
an artifact of making a apple-land window to enclose the X11 window?

Also, I occasionally have an X11 window appear in apple-land (eg while
I'm off in apple-land using another app, and the X11 window gets
created). Alt-TAB to X11 and the window gets sucked into X11 and
vanishes from apple-land. I would add that this is similar to my
"early" X11 apps that also appear in apple-land until I switch into
X11 full screen mode. Except that the "later" app window doesn't
seem to leave a white rectangle behind (the X11 window manager is up
then, possibly related).

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

He tried to tell us the animals could speak. Who knows? Perhaps they do. How
do you know they don't - just 'cause they've never spoken to you?
        - Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr.