[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_beta3 on Tiger in X11R7.2

George Peter Staplin georgeps at xmission.com
Wed Nov 19 11:49:17 PST 2008

Quoted Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at apple.com>:

> I urge you to read the developer info page.  There is a script on
> there to help you setup your environment for the build... namely,
> stripping Fink and macports out of the environment, and adding pkg-
> info and aclocal dirs in /usr/X11 into the environment.
>
> http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/DeveloperInfo?version=17#MacPortsFinkGentooConflicts

Could Peter's problem actually be from an out of date XTrans?  I ran
into this several weeks ago too, I think.

Peter, you might want to try building a new XTrans from git (that's
what I did IIRC), or upgrading to the latest RC1 perhaps.

I do something like this in xserver (just to make sure the configure
and Makefiles get generated properly):

$ make distclean
$ sh autogen.sh
$ sh gps_conf_debug.sh
$ bld_install.sh

$ cat gps_conf_debug.sh

export ACLOCAL="aclocal -I /usr/X11/share/aclocal"
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/X11/lib/pkgconfig

export CFLAGS="-ggdb -Wall -arch i386 -arch ppc -pipe"
export LDFLAGS="-Wall -arch i386 -arch ppc -pipe"

./configure --prefix=/usr/X11 \
  --with-mesa-source=/Users/gps/Downloads/Mesa-7.0.4 \
  --disable-dependency-tracking --enable-integrated-xpbproxy

The script below deserves some explanation.  It's used because the
dependencies for some targets in XQuartz are missing, and fixing the
automake code to work isn't something I know how to do at the moment.
I told Jeremy about it.  He's more of a wizard with automake than I
am, but it hasn't been fixed yet.

$ cat bld_install.sh
rm hw/xquartz/mach-startup/X11; make && sudo make install

If you track the git log, and git diff changes, you can often avoid
the full reconfigure step, by just running something like this to
regenerate the Makefile depending on what was changed.

$ automake hw/xquartz/Makefile

> On Nov 19, 2008, at 08:03, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>

>> Am 18.11.2008 um 22:22 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:
>>
>>> You need to switch to the xorg-server-1.4-apple branch.
>>

>> Git cloned 1.4.2-apple23. Compilation has some problems during the
>>  auto-reconfigure phase and breaks here:
>>
>> configure.ac:593: error: possibly undefined macro:  XTRANS_CONNECTION_FLAGS
>>     If this token and others are legitimate, please use  m4_pattern_allow.
>>     See the Autoconf documentation.
>> autoreconf: /sw/bin/autoconf-2.63 failed with exit status: 1

George
--
http://people.freedesktop.org/~gstaplin/