[Xquartz-dev] libcairo in X11 2.3.2-rc1

Zulli, Louis P zullil at lafayette.edu
Wed Nov 19 12:15:39 PST 2008

Hi,

I installed X11 2.3.2-rc1, which installed new cairo libs in /usr/X11/
lib. As a result, my pango in /usr/local complained, I guess since it
was built against the old cairo libs. So I downloaded and tried to
build pango. Compilation failed with:

In file included from pangocairo-atsui.h:27,
                  from pangocairo-fontmap.c:29:
/usr/X11/include/cairo/cairo-quartz.h:78:3: error: #error Cairo was
not compiled with support for the quartz backend
pangocairo-fontmap.c: In function ‘pango_cairo_font_map_set_default
’:
pangocairo-fontmap.c:209: warning: assignment from incompatible
pointer type
make[4]: *** [libpangocairo_1_0_la-pangocairo-fontmap.lo] Error 1
make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

So my question is: Is there a reason that cairo was built in the way
it was? I just downloaded cairo-1.8.4 and configured with --PREFIX=/
usr/X11. Support for quartz backend was included automatically. I
then built pango and all seems well.

Just out of curiosity, why is cairo included with the X11 package? I
used to have my own in /usr/local but having two sets of libcairos
was a source of trouble.

Louis