[Xquartz-dev] Tiger fixes in 1.4.2-apple24

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Freenet.DE
Sat Nov 22 09:10:36 PST 2008

I do have now this version of xserver. Right now a compilation of
X11R7.4 is proceeding. It might take until local (UTC+1) midnight
(four hours till then), or later, until the X server's build has
finished, successful or not.

Am 22.11.2008 um 02:31 schrieb Jeremy Huddleston:

> 1) What is your purpose for doing this build of X11 on Tiger?

Right now it's merely to help you making it Tiger compatible. Since I
know that I won't get transparency I'm not that keen on building
X11R7.4 anymore. I can afford re-building and updating the
distribution, though, and I'll also find time to experiment and to
find problems – solutions are harder to find.

> 2) Why are you autoreconf-ing everything?  That often won't even work
> unless you have all the dependents available (which sometimes isn't
> the case) because of bad autotools etiquette when the packages are put
> together...

The modular build script does this because often a change of source
code is accompanied by changes of macros for configuring and building
the module. When working on a problem and just changing the source
code it's not necessary to run the whole build script, a simple make
in the module's top directory would be enough. Changes to the macros
would need a 'autoreconf -fvi' or such.

> As I mentioned before, jhbuild / build.sh doesn't work on Leopard let
> alone Tiger.  The build process is quite complex, and I want to get
> jhbuild / build.sh working on Leopard soon, but I haven't even looked
> into it much yet.

Well, my experience on Tiger is: build.sh works perfectly! (OK, I
have to admit that I early started to use an edited version that did
not build most of the driver modules and the recent working version
does not even start to build any such module since you told me that
it's all in xserver.)

One advantage of the build script is that you can put it into a
particular environment that is then applied uniformly on every
module's build procedure. And you can launch it and go to bed. By
lunch time the distribution will be built. (Next build will be faster
because the 5,000 files of libxcb documentation already exist, thanks
to not installed dot and doxygen.)

I'll see, to learn, what jhbuild is performing, how it can be
controlled (and patched, too)!

> Most of the patches are integrated into upstream except these:
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~jeremyhu/not.committed/
>
> The libxcb one isn't in because I don't have commit access there yet,
> and I don't think the libXt one is really needed...
>
> libXaw has fixes in git that aren't in a tarball yet... so you need
> git for that.

I haven't looked at these patches, because these two libraries get
built (although I remember that libXaw when installed is not useable
because of wrong versioning numbers in the installed files. This
becomes visible when the apps are built.

> but again... what's the point to all of this?

For example telling you that the build of libXpm (with much reduced
Fink content) fails with:

	sxpm.c:56:21: error: libintl.h: No such file or directory

Fink provides this header file in libgettext3-dev, also libintl (in
libgettext3-shlibs). And because the build of libXpm failed, libXaw
could not be built. And because this library was not built, almost no
X client (app) could be built ...

Or this:

	xinit.c:64:26: error: Availability.h: No such file or directory

I can also imagine maintaining a wiki to help others to build X11R7.4
on Tiger ...

BTW, libpciaccess is definitely not needed to build the X server on
Mac OS X?

Why is Mesa needed when Apple's OpenGL framework interferes? Aren't
the framework's libraries just adequate?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?