[Xquartz-dev] Tiger fixes in 1.4.2-apple24

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Nov 22 10:59:58 PST 2008

>> 2) Why are you autoreconf-ing everything?  That often won't even work
>> unless you have all the dependents available (which sometimes isn't
>> the case) because of bad autotools etiquette when the packages are
>> put
>> together...
>
> The modular build script does this because often a change of source
> code is accompanied by changes of macros for configuring and
> building the module. When working on a problem and just changing the
> source code it's not necessary to run the whole build script, a
> simple make in the module's top directory would be enough. Changes
> to the macros would need a 'autoreconf -fvi' or such.

Hmm... but that should only really be necessary if you checkout from
git... oh well...

>> Most of the patches are integrated into upstream except these:
>> http://people.freedesktop.org/~jeremyhu/not.committed/
>>
>> The libxcb one isn't in because I don't have commit access there yet,
>> and I don't think the libXt one is really needed...
>>
>> libXaw has fixes in git that aren't in a tarball yet... so you need
>> git for that.
>
> I haven't looked at these patches, because these two libraries get
> built (although I remember that libXaw when installed is not useable
> because of wrong versioning numbers in the installed files. This
> becomes visible when the apps are built.

You should apply this patch then for libXaw:

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=xorg/lib/libXaw.git;a=commitdiff;h=420efdba52593bf13d97c7e001b64caccd04cd5d

Don't worry about the other two.  Tiger actually doesn't need the
libxcb patch.

Note that this patch is for the new, post-X11R7.4 libXaw which punted
libXaw.9.  If you want to use the old tarball, you will need to
essentially do the same thing, but in 3 hunks rather than 2.  If
that's confusing, let me know and I'll make the patch for you, since
I'll need it eventually...

> For example telling you that the build of libXpm (with much reduced
> Fink content) fails with:
>
> 	sxpm.c:56:21: error: libintl.h: No such file or directory
>
> Fink provides this header file in libgettext3-dev, also libintl (in
> libgettext3-shlibs). And because the build of libXpm failed, libXaw
> could not be built. And because this library was not built, almost
> no X client (app) could be built ...

libXpm-3.5.7 compiles cleanly for me... the line you reference is
actually inside an '#ifdef USE_GETTEXT' ... so somehow your configure
script is deciding to use gettext (probably because of fink in your
environment):

#ifdef USE_GETTEXT
#include <locale.h>
#include <libintl.h>
#else
#define gettext(a) (a)
#endif

> Or this:
> 	xinit.c:64:26: error: Availability.h: No such file or directory

-#include <Availability.h>
+#include <AvailabilityMacros.h>

fixed in git.

> I can also imagine maintaining a wiki to help others to build
> X11R7.4 on Tiger ...
>

> BTW, libpciaccess is definitely not needed to build the X server on
> Mac OS X?

That is correct.

> Why is Mesa needed when Apple's OpenGL framework interferes? Aren't
> the framework's libraries just adequate?

Mesa is needed to build the Xserver and to build libGLU and libglut.
Mesa does not provide libGL (you can use it, but it will only be
software rendering).

You should use the /usr/X11R6/libGL.dylib that comes with Tiger's X11
or build it yourself from the Leopard libGL source:

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/tarballs/other/X11server-48.4.tar.gz

---

libGL is a mess right now, but something that is actively being worked
on (thanks George).  I suggest you try getting the X11 working with --
disable-glx first... then we can worry about the GLX issue in isolation.