[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.2_beta1

Dave Ray apple at jonive.com
Sat Oct 11 10:34:07 PDT 2008

Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

 >  Dave Ray wrote:
 >> Copy/paste works as expected with xpbproxy, but only in the OS-X ->
 >> X11 direction. I never thought to check in the other direction
until I
 >> read the recent post. Is this the intended behavior?
 >
 >Yes, we intend the synchronization to work
 >both ways assuming you have the options checked in preferences.  The
 >only option not currently implemented is 'copy on select'

Okay, well than I have some interesting things to report. In X11
preferences I have all the paste checkbox items checked.

I can copy text from Textedit -> xterm, Textedit -> Eterm

I can copy text from xterm -> Textedit, but NOT Eterm -> Textedit.
Perhaps I need to recompile that with a flag of some sort.

I can copy graphics from Preview -> Gimp, Photoshop -> Gimp and
Graphic Converter -> Gimp.

I can NOT copt graphics from Gimp -> any graphics app in OS-X.

To copy from an X11 app to OS-X, I select the text/graphic, then use
command-C in the OS-X menu, then I switch to the OS-X app and type
command-V. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong.

Another observation:
If the selected text/graphic is selected, and then deselected, the
normal X11 behavior is to keep the last selected item in the X11
clipboard buffer, even without explicitly using keys to copy. This is
because X11 doesn't have global copy/paste keys like OS-X. I found
that if I deselect the selected item in X11, and then use command-C,
the item is in the X11 buffer but not copied to the OS-X clipboard.
This is probably by design but I wanted to be sure.

I thought it would be useful for you to get this kind of feedback from
someone not using quartz-wm.

 >> John Koren wrote
 >>> This results in a error message " A clipboard manager is already
 >>> running.  pbproxy will not sync clipboard to pasteboard." being
 >>> written in the system log.
 >>
 >> If you are getting this message, pbproxy is still being launched
 >> somehow, even though it is not in your .xinitrc.
 >
 >Or any other application that claims the CLIPBOARD_MANAGER atom
 >(xclipboard, klipper, etc).

So, does this mean the message "pbproxy will not sync clipboard.." is
a generic message that will be displayed in the startup logs if there
is any conflict, even if pbproxy is not installed?

Dave