[Xquartz-dev] new xpbproxy

John Koren jpkoren at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 20:19:24 PDT 2008

George, Jeremy

I just noticed that in my .xinitrc I had "exec /usr/bin/quartz-wm" and
not "exec /usr/bin/quartz-wm --no-pasteboard". Using "-no-pasteboard"
flag solved the problem. Earlier Jeremy wrote "-no-pasteboard does
nothing on 2.3.1 since it defaults to --no-pasteboard", but I guess
that's not entirely the case.

My answers on my setup follow:

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 6:46 PM, George Peter Staplin
<georgeps at xmission.com> wrote:
> Quoted John Koren <jpkoren at gmail.com>:
>
>> More precisely to trigger the problem:
>>
>> 1) Startup X11.app (which launches rxvt)
>> 2) Select text in rxvt
>> 3) Goto Terminal.app
>> 4) Hit cmd-v
>>
>> One actually does not need to go step 4). Just clicking on the
>> Terminal.app window at step 3) triggers the problem in the sense that
>> xpbproxy cpu goes up and the X11 windows do not drag properly.  Step
>> 4) does not result in pasted text as it should.
>
> I can't duplicate this with the xpbproxy binary that Jeremy provided
> and X11-2.3.2_beta1.pkg with all of the Preferences->Pasteboard
> options on.
>
> What version of X11 and xpbproxy are you using?

X11-2.3.2_beta1.pkg
http://people.freedesktop.org/~jeremyhu/xpbproxy-20081015.bz2

> Please tell me what the following list.
>  ps aux | grep pbproxy
>  ps aux | grep xpbproxy

/usr/X11/bin/xpbproxy

> Are you using a ppc or Intel Mac?

Powerbook (Aluminum) G4 ppc
MacOS 10.5.5

> What does the following display for you?  (I couldn't seem the find
> the rxvt version option, but this works)
> $ rxvt -v
> rxvt: bad option "-v"
> Rxvt v2.7.10 - released: 26 MARCH 2003

Rxvt v2.7.10 - released: 26 MARCH 2003
distributed via macports

The problem occurs also with xterm

> Is this consistent with your existing setup?
> $ cat /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99-quartz-wm.sh
> if [ -x /usr/X11/bin/xpbproxy ] ; then
>        /usr/X11/bin/xpbproxy &
>        [ -x /usr/bin/quartz-wm ] && exec /usr/bin/quartz-wm --no-pasteboard
> else
>        [ -x /usr/bin/quartz-wm ] && exec /usr/bin/quartz-wm
> fi

Yes. Exactly the same.

> Do you use a custom .xinitrc?

Yes, for the testing purposes it contains only these lines:

#!/bin/sh
/opt/local/bin/rxvt -tcw &
/usr/X11/bin/xpbproxy &
exec /usr/bin/quartz-wm

>Do you have a previously installed
> /usr/bin/pbproxy (the old version)?

no I do not

> Is the behavior also broken when you do:
> defaults write org.x.X11 app_to_run -string "/usr/X11/bin/xterm"

Yes, the same problem occurs.