[Xquartz-dev] new xpbproxy

George Peter Staplin georgeps at xmission.com
Thu Oct 16 18:46:10 PDT 2008

Quoted John Koren <jpkoren at gmail.com>:

> More precisely to trigger the problem:
>
> 1) Startup X11.app (which launches rxvt)
> 2) Select text in rxvt
> 3) Goto Terminal.app
> 4) Hit cmd-v
>
> One actually does not need to go step 4). Just clicking on the
> Terminal.app window at step 3) triggers the problem in the sense that
> xpbproxy cpu goes up and the X11 windows do not drag properly.  Step
> 4) does not result in pasted text as it should.

I can't duplicate this with the xpbproxy binary that Jeremy provided
and X11-2.3.2_beta1.pkg with all of the Preferences->Pasteboard
options on.

What version of X11 and xpbproxy are you using?

Please tell me what the following list.
  ps aux | grep pbproxy
  ps aux | grep xpbproxy

Are you using a ppc or Intel Mac?

What does the following display for you?  (I couldn't seem the find
the rxvt version option, but this works)
$ rxvt -v
rxvt: bad option "-v"
Rxvt v2.7.10 - released: 26 MARCH 2003

Is this consistent with your existing setup?
$ cat /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99-quartz-wm.sh
if [ -x /usr/X11/bin/xpbproxy ] ; then
	/usr/X11/bin/xpbproxy &
	[ -x /usr/bin/quartz-wm ] && exec /usr/bin/quartz-wm --no-pasteboard
else
	[ -x /usr/bin/quartz-wm ] && exec /usr/bin/quartz-wm
fi

Do you use a custom .xinitrc?  Do you have a previously installed
/usr/bin/pbproxy (the old version)?

Is the behavior also broken when you do:
defaults write org.x.X11 app_to_run -string "/usr/X11/bin/xterm"

> To avoid the problem:
>
> 1) Startup X11.app
> 2) Hit cmd-c anywhere in rxvt
> 3) Select text in rxvt
> 4) Goto Terminal.app
> 5) Hit cmd-v
>
> Step 2) needs to be done only once at the beginning of the X11.app
> session. After that it is not need until X11.app is shut down.
>
> In X11.app Preferences>Pasteboard I have all options selected.

We will figure this out.  :-)

George
--
http://people.freedesktop.org/~gstaplin/