[Xquartz-dev] XListDepths ordering changed

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Oct 18 12:27:03 PDT 2008

On Oct 18, 2008, at 12:21, Nicholas Riley wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 2:16 pm, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> That should really make no difference what the ordering is...
>
> But it does, because nxagent (at least in the version I'm using)
> matches
> the depths one for one, as I mentioned. You may correctly note that
> the
> docs don't indicate what ordering XListDepths should return, but it is
> the case that it returns depths in a different order from earlier Mac
> X11 versions.  X 1.4.2 on Linux also used the ...,15,16,32 order
> when I
> checked.

Right, I understand the list is different, but the order in which
visuals are listed (which is directly related to the order in which
available depths are listed) should not matter.

If it is causing you a problem, you need to report this as a bug to NX.

That being said, I would like to get to the root of your problem,
since I really don't think that it's the ORDER that matters.

>> What is the problem that you are having?  Can you tell me how to
>> reproduce it?
>
> The problem I am having is that I can't resume my NX session with
> 1.4.2-apple19 when I start it on an earlier Mac X11 version, and vice
> versa. I found the place in the nxagent code where it's doing this
> depth
> matching, so I'm pretty sure this is the problem.

Ok, well then can you please report this bug to the NX developers...
perhaps they can provide more insight or just fix their bug.

Thanks,
Jeremy