[Xquartz-dev] 1.4.2-apple20 -- ghosts!

Viv Kendon V.Kendon at leeds.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 13:06:09 PDT 2008

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> 1.4.2-apple20 brings in the following changes over 1.4.2-apple19:
>
> Fullscreen (same as Tiger)

Cool -- thanks!!!!!

I gave it a try, using fvwm2 as my window manager (as I used
to run X under Tiger).  I got some strange blank bits of
screen persisting between X11 and Aqua related to transient
menu windows.  I launched an X verson of FireFox (from fink)
(among other things) and some of the blank bits correspond
to where the drop-down menus had been when I used them.
The fvwm root menus also produced them.  I couldn't quite
figure out what was making them appear and disappear, it
wasn't that I was switching back to Aqua while the menu was
dropped down, it was one I'd used earlier that left a
"ghost" (I supose it _is_ nearly Hallowe'en...).  The ghost
windows appeared on every one of my fvwm virtual "spaces" as
well as in Aqua.  Clicking in one of these white blanks
while in Aqua would switch back to full screen X.  They all
vanished when I quit X.  The mouse position was a bit
inconsistent around these ghosts too when I had just
switched back from Aqua, as though X hadn't caught up with
where the mouse was.

This is on a MacBook Air, using a fairly vanilla account
that hasn't run X before (or at least, not for a long time).
Obviously I had to drop in a .xinitrc, in which I tried to
put almost everything from the system one (which makes it
seem long, I've appended it below).  I also have focus
follows mouse selected (this shouldn't make any difference
without quartz-wm running though, right?)  And I wasn't
running Spaces.

I actually ran fink's xorg rather than Tiger's X11 under
Tiger.  One of the things it had which this doesn't is that
when you moved a window you got an outline showing you where
it was about to be placed (as well as the little counter
giving the coordinates -- that counter also leaves a ghost
BTW).  I'd really like that back if it isn't too hard to do.

A thought...have there been changes that mean I should
recompile fvwm and related dependencies against this latest
X11???

Meanwhile, I'm a bit mission critical on a bunch of stuff
for the next week, so I'm sticking to rootless+Spaces for my
regular work.  It seems to be working well (thanks and kudos
to all involved) but I'll be glad to leave the swooshing
between spaces behind and go back to fvwm's simpler
interface...

cheers,
-- Viv
Dr Viv Kendon    http://quantum.leeds.ac.uk/~viv
tel: +44 113 343 4864      Physics and Astronomy
Quantum Information Group    University of Leeds

  my .xinitrc:
  ------------

#Make sure to get a fink path:
. /sw/bin/init.sh

#Want an xterm early in case of problems:
xterm -n Local -T Local -bg lemonchiffon -sb -rightbar -sl
10000 -fn 9x15 -geometry 80x40+10+42 -ls &

#Record how we just started up:
echo $0 &
echo display=$DISPLAY &

# From /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc:
userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.Xmodmap
sysresources=/usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps

if [ -f $sysresources ]; then

     if [ -x /usr/bin/cpp ] ; then
         xrdb -merge $sysresources
     else
         xrdb -nocpp -merge $sysresources
     fi

fi

if [ -f $sysmodmap ]; then
     xmodmap $sysmodmap
fi

if [ -f "$userresources" ]; then

     if [ -x /usr/bin/cpp ] ; then
         xrdb -merge "$userresources"
     else
         xrdb -nocpp -merge "$userresources"
     fi

fi

if [ -f "$usermodmap" ]; then
     xmodmap "$usermodmap"
fi

# start some nice programs

# run the xinit.d stuff by hand to avoid doing the one for
quartz-wm:
if [ -d /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/10-fontdir.sh ] ;
then
         . /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/10-fontdir.sh
fi
if [ -d /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99-pbproxy.sh ] ;
then
         . /usr/X11/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99-pbproxy.sh
fi

# Note sure how many of these we need/want:
# quartz-wm --only-proxy &              # to proxy
cut'n'paste
# /sw/bin/autocutsel &                  # fix mozilla paste
from aqua
xsetroot -solid SeaGreen &              # in case Xbackphoto
is missing
/sw/bin/qiv --root_s /Users/vmk/.fvwm/Xbackphoto.jpg &
#Another xterm just to have a spare...
xterm -n Local -T Local -bg lemonchiffon -sb -rightbar -sl
10000 -fn 9x15 -geometry 80x40+0+0 -ls &
xclock -digital -geometry -10+0 &
exec /sw/bin/fvwm2 2>>/Users/vmk/.fvwm/.fvwm2-errors
exit