[Xquartz-dev] 1.4.2-apple20 - copy-paste

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sun Oct 26 10:21:56 PDT 2008

On Oct 26, 2008, at 07:53, George Peter Staplin wrote:

> Well, that's interesting that it's still not working between
> Photoshop and Gimp.  I don't have Photoshop available to test with.
>
> I suspect that Photoshop is using a Pict format with NSPasteboard,
> but I have no way of knowing for sure, unless I can add some
> introspection for the available types.  I will look into this
> further, and perhaps write a test application for you that would
> print out the available NSPasteboard types.  I want it to work
> flawlessly between all apps, as much as possible.
>
> Right now we support TIFF, JPEG, PNG, UTF-8, CompoundText, and
> STRING/Latin-1.

Yeah, this is a good start (and much better than what we had
before ;>) ...

> The Pict support was more difficult I think, because I'm not sure
> how to translate between the Pict and the various formats.  We need
> to convert Pict to TIFF, and Pict to PNG for the best results.

Yeah, currently we just drop it if it's Pict...

It could also be something else that we don't handle... is there
documentation somewhere about what valid types can be returned by
[NSPasteboard types]?

> I have this on the TODO list on my desk.  I'm sorry that it's taking
> a while to get to.  I will try to take a look at the Eterm sources,
> as I suspect they are doing something unexpected.

Same goes for nedit (and I suspect other apps that use the Motif
clipboard functionality)...