[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.1_rc5 keeps losing focus?

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Sat Sep 6 07:47:00 PDT 2008

On Sep 6, 2008, at 07:23, Jay Levitt wrote:

> Jeremy Huddleston wrote:
>> Known bug: http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/ticket/58
>> I'd be willing to bet that Growl is actually the culprit here, but
>> I have growl on my system with no problem... so /shrug
>> I have no way to really reproduce this, so I don't know what is
>> going on to cause it.  Without a reliable test case, this isn't
>> going to get fixed, so the more information you can give, the better.
>
> Well, I can definitely reproduce it!  It happens at least once a
> minute.

Great.  It's never happened here, so let's figure out how to break my
system, so I can figure out how to fix it.

> What sort of info would be useful?  I imagine that dtrace can tell
> us a lot, but frankly I haven't really learned it yet.

I basically need a way to trigger it.  I'd love to be able to do:

void cause_x11_to_drop_focus() {
}

int main() {
	while(1) {
		cause_x_to_drop_focus();
		sleep(10);
	}
}

Filling in that '...' would go a long way to solving this problem.

> Is there a system call akin to "steal focus now!" that I should be
> looking for?  (and how would I do that?)

There is SetFrontProcess and maybe something like ActivateTSMDocument

> I could also learn to build Growl under XCode, and run it under the
> debugger.. but again, any ideas what I could look for?  I have yet
> to do any real development on a Mac.

Well... before you do that, does it go away when you disable Growl?
If so, what applications do you have installed that use Growl?