[Xquartz-dev] 2.3.1_rc* and usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/fonts.conf ???

Merle Reinhart merlereinhart at mac.com
Sun Sep 7 08:35:16 PDT 2008

Jeremy,

I was just trying out a particular sequence of OS X updates (the new
seed combo update) and X11-2.3.1_rc6.

All is working well, except that gimp and inkscape have been throwing
an error:

Fontconfig error: Cannot load config file "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/
fonts.conf"
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
Fontconfig error: Cannot load config file "/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/
fonts.conf"
Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file

Looking at things, yes, it looks like in this situation of going from
the X11 included with 10.5.5 (combo update from 10.5.4) to
X11-2.3.1_rc6, that fonts.conf has gone missing.

Other than the error, the impact appears to be any user installed
fonts are completely ignored and the apps only see the X11 system fonts.

If I copy the fonts.conf from a previous system (the file is dated Dec
5, 2007 so I'm not completely sure what version of X11 (Xquartz or OS
X update) it originally came from) then I don't get the errors and I
can see my non-System installed fonts again.

Anyway, I don't know if fonts.conf should have been included and was
missed or not, but there is a potential for breakage in the near future.

Merle