[Xquartz-dev] New Idea for Copy and Paste...

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Sep 11 13:27:11 PDT 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 12:50, George Peter Staplin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After discussing the copy/paste issue with Jordan Hubbard a new idea
> was formed.
>
> We can use the most recently set selection atom, instead of having 4
> menu items.  I think this sounds reasonable.

Huh?  Yeah, 4 menu items is bad.  One predictible one good.  See my
last email, and maybe elaborate on this point a bit more since I am
having trouble parsing.

> We can use XFixes to see which client most recently owned the
> selection, and thereby trigger an XConvertSelection request in pbproxy
> for the TARGETS list, and then respond accordingly...
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/FixesExt

Just knowing the last owner doesn't tell us anything really, the owner
could be the same, and the selection could change.

> How does that sound?

Why do you want to use XFixes?  Just listen for SelectNotify