[Xquartz-dev] Proposal for PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD Copy/Paste

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Thu Sep 11 14:14:58 PDT 2008

> The problem with that is that some apps never set PRIMARY.  The
> experience will be just as confusing without more menu items.

Well then their application won't work in X11 on UNIX, so let's not
worry about getting it to work on OSX.  If selecting text doesn't
change PRIMARY, then there's really no way for us to GET that
selection.

> For instance the Gtk+/Gimp image copy only sets CLIPBOARD.  So the
> user may come to expect image copies to not work, but in reality
> they will work (if I get this code finished) but only be aware of
> that after switching to CLIPBOARD.

Right, and this will be handled "automatically" (ie, not with the Edit-
 >copy menu) when the user does 'Edit->Copy' in gimp, xemacs,
openoffice, etc. (assuming that is what the user wants... hence the 4
options I mentioned in my pseudocode).

>> We should have an option that changing CLIPBOARD causes that to be
>> proxies to pb.  The reason being that users don't want to copy twice
>> (once to CLIPBOARD then to pb).  Additionally, most users don't
>> understand what that would even mean.
>
> I agree that most will not immediately understand what it will
> mean.  But it's the kind of thing that trial and error could
> indicate.  I wish there was a better way.

I think there is (what I outlined in my pseudocode)

>> The user almost never expects the copy action in our menu to copy
>> CLIPBOARD.
>
> Well, if they copy images, or have just done Copy in an X11 editor
> menu, they might expect that.

I think they'd expect that if they copy imaged or hit copy in an
editor, the PB will automatically be updated.  You should never need
to do edit->copy (menu 1) then edit->copy (menu 2) to copy to the PB.
Additionally, some users disable key equivalents, so actually forcing
them to goto the menu is not desirable (hence the proxy on select and
proxy clipboard options).

> X11 Tk apps for instance use PRIMARY for the highlighted text, and
> an Edit->Copy usually copies that to the CLIPBOARD via
> [tk_textCopy].  Tk apps aren't alone in that regard either.

Yes.  That's actually the expected behavior, and we want to support
that (and not care about apps that break that convention).

> XGetSelectionOwner can return 2 different windows if you have
> different PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD owners.

yep.