[Xquartz-dev] Proposal for PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD Copy/Paste

George Peter Staplin georgeps at xmission.com
Fri Sep 12 10:37:51 PDT 2008

Quoted Jeremy Huddleston <jeremyhu at berkeley.edu>:

> We want to avoid "when switching fg/bg" because this causes unexpected
> bahavior when using pbcopy/pbpaste (the expected behavior would be
> that pbpaste should paste whatever was just copied via cmd-c)

How about one new menu item?  That's all we need to solve this I think.

Copy            (always copies PRIMARY to PB)
Copy Clipboard  (always copies CLIPBOARD to PB)
Paste           (makes pbproxy own PRIMARY and CLIPBOARD)

This isn't much different than apps that provide 2 Paste modes (Paste,
and Paste and Reformat (IIRC)) in the menus as far as I see.

I understand it may be a lot of work to add 1 menu item, because of
localization, but I think it's the best way.

I personally think it would be more awkward for users to have to
toggle the option repeatedly to Copy the proper data.  To me this
violates (my own) HIG more than 1 new menu item.

Regards,

George
--
http://www.xmission.com/~georgeps/  http://whim.linuxsys.net